I just got a great email this morning from www.projectnursery.com who I recently subscribed with. Be sure to sign up to get their daily blog posts sent directly to your email. They share great ideas on nursery design & decor. Today’s post was on how to create this great contemporary alphabet nursery mural design.
1. Pick colors that go best with the room design & decor, such as furniture, bedding, etc.
2. Choose 3 shades of color. In this particular mural the homeowner, Nicole Worth, chose 3 shades of blue to go with the bedding that she chose from Dwell Studio.
3. Paint the wall with the medium color as your base. The other 2 colors (lighter & darker) will be used for the overlapping lettering.
4. Create the design. You can use almost any design from letters to geometric shapes. The possibilities are endless.
5. Draw out the design or use a computer graphic design program to create the layout. Nicole chose to use an overlapping effect in order to create interest and depth.
6. Transfer the design to the wall using an overhead projector (this is my favorite machine to use when preparing for a mural). You can maneuver the projector to make your design larger or smaller and you can also move the design around on the wall until you are satisfied with the placement.
7. Start painting your design. In this case, Nicole started with the lighter blue color first and then she overlapped with the darker blue color. In order to get clean crisp lines, be sure to outline your design with a smaller detail brush first and then fill in with a mini paint roller. Make sure you wait until the paint dries before overlapping your next letter, shape, or design.
Don’t you love how it came out? I am jealous! What a great idea. I also love the way the homeowner used white and brown as the accent colors for the furniture, shelving, and decorating elements. This nursery is definitely a calm and comfortable space.