Primarily self-taught, Leigh Watson has been an artist nearly all her life. She finally embraced her passion and talent as a full time profession in 2004 at the urging of her family, friends and clients who had enjoyed the fruits of her artistic “hobby”.
Today, as the founder and owner of Watson Design, Leigh happily wields her brushes and paints on behalf of a diverse residential and commercial clientele. She paints everything from nurseries and children’s rooms to daycares, schools and commercial interiors. Whether it is a detailed mural or simple, decorative painting, Leigh’s art is beautiful and purposeful. She works closely with clients and their children to fulfill their vision and the potential of the space—often in ways the client may not even have thought possible.
Here are a few questions that I have asked Leigh so you can get to know her a little better:
- How long have you been in business? – 5 years
- What areas do you service? – All of Texas… Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, and additional cities may be arranged
- How did you get started? – My sister wanted a tree painted in her first baby’s nursery in 2001 – I have always been artistic, although at that point I did not have any formal training. Word of mouth spread and over the next 4 years I ended up painting murals as a hobby for a few neighbors and designers in Dallas. By 2005, I was living in Austin and was ready to become my own boss. From the encouragement of friends, family, and clients, I decided to begin the art business that I have today – Watson Design. It has been the best decision I have ever made!
- What was your most favorite mural that you have ever done? – My favorite mural is probably this underwater mural because,while I can create artwork in any style my client desires, my personal style lends itself towards the realistic look. I enjoy this mural the most because it has depth and a lot of interest and activity. Each animal was personally chosen by the young boy whom I was painting for and that always makes my work that much more fun :).
- Is there a mural theme that you have not done yet that you would love to do? – I would absolutely LOVE to do a full scale, full-detail mural of Where the Wild Things Are. I have created a more simplistic version, working within budget and space constraints – but I would love to be able to really create that entire world inside of the right space. I have been a huge fan of Maurice Sendak ever since I can remember and am hoping that the release of the new movie might spur some children or daycares to ask for it specifically 🙂
- What is your contact info in case anyone would like to reach you for your services? – Leigh Watson, #512-736-3331, email@example.com, www.leighwatson.com